Cristiana's Flourless Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake is a favorite of Cristiana Magnani, the friend of Lorenza who is a doctor and came to dinner when we were visiting in Reggio in September of 2002.
It is dense and delicious and Cristiana works out regularly just to manage her sweet tooth and be able to eat this flourless cake. Her husband Franco is retired so he enjoys the fruits of her labor as well. She also makes a mean orange marmalade.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200 grams sugar (ounces)
- 200 grams unsweetened chocolate in fine pieces (ounces)
- 150 grams of butter (ounces unsalted butter)
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with greased parchment paper.
- Melt the butter with the sugar until liquefied.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks well, then beat in the chocolate.
- Separately beat the egg whites then fold them into the chocolate and egg mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and place into cold oven. Turn temperature to 350F.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Cake should rise then fall, resembling a flat brownie.
- Cool well then refrigerate, dust with powdered sugar, cut into pieces.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1406.