MAKES ABOUT 1 3/4 CUPS
Lemon curd is the perfect filling for cakes and light-as-a-feather meringues. Vary the flavor by using a mixture of lemon and lime juice or use just one; either is sure to make your dessert a hit. It’s also excellent served with fresh or poached fruit and as a garnish for cheesecake.
- INGREDIENTS1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (about 4 lemons or 6 large limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon or lime zest
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- DIRECTIONSCombine the lemon or lime juice, zest, sugar, butter and salt in the top of a double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar no longer feels gritty in the bottom of the pan. Slowly pour in the eggs, continually stirring with a spoon or whisk and cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the curd to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. When ready to use, whip the cream until it is stiff, then fold it into the lemon curd.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1716.