Mushroom Sauce / Salsa di Funghi
MAKES ENOUGH FOR 1 POUND OF PASTA
Mushrooms sauce for pasta is a nice alternative to tomato sauce and goes especially well with whole wheat fettucine. This is a rich dish so a little goes a long way.
- INGREDIENTS2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, beech, button, cremini, shittake, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot pork sausage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked whole wheat fettucine
- 1 cup heavy cream or fat-free Half & Half
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- DIRECTIONSMelt the butter in a large saute pan and cook the garlic until it is soft. Stir in the mushrooms and cook them until they begin to give off their liquid. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Brown the pork sausage in the same pan, breaking it up with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. If the sausage seems dry, add a little butter to the pan while it is cooking. Return the mushrooms to the pan and mix ingredients well. Cover the pan and keep warm.
- Cook the fettucine as directed on the package; drain it and add it to the pan with the sausage mixture. Stir in the cream and cheese and mix everything quickly over medium high heat until the mixture is hot. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1711.