Nancy Verde Barr's Grated Zucchini Sauce / Sugo di Zucchini Grattato
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS SAUCE
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, washed, ends trimmed and grated
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whole small basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat the butter and oil in a 12-to-14-inch sauté pan and stir in the garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook gently until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Stir in the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until tender and wilted, 7 to 8 minutes. Pour in the wine or lemon juice and reduce by half.
- Toss the basil leaves into the pan with hot, drained pasta and serve with grated cheese.
- Note: This sauce is excellent with cavatelli.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1622.
No comments on this recipe.