Nancy Verde Barr's Quick Pork Ragu / Ragu Rapido di Maiale
MAKES ABOUT A QUART
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups marinara sauce (meatless tomato sauce)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a 12-to-14-inch sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook gently until the onion is translucent. Turn the heat up slightly and sauté the pork, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula, until it is no longer pink. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour in the wine and reduce it over high heat until there are just a few tablespoons of liquid left in the pan. Pour in the marinara sauce and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for five minutes. Again raise the heat and pour in a third of the cream or milk, reduce slightly, add another third, reduce and then add the remaining cream or milk. Reduce again. Toss the sauce with hot cavatelli and serve with grated Parmigiano cheese.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1622.
No comments on this recipe.