Potato, Zucchini and Parmesan Cheese Tart
When I was growing up I could count on the same lunch every Saturday: chicken livers with onions and fried potatoes and zucchini. That memory of Saturday’s main fare has always stayed with me. I have since given up eating chicken livers and have given potatoes and zucchini a new lease on taste in this easy-to-make layered tart, no pastry involved. Just an elegant presentation of simple fare.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tomedium size baking potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold), cooked, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 large sprig thyme, leaves only
- 4 medium zucchini plus one for garnish
- Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, or Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 3 whole mint leaves, minced
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper to taste
- Coat a 9 x 3 inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside. You may also use a baking dish or cake pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the potato slices in a bowl and toss them gently with the thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut four zucchini into 1/4-inch thick slices and sauté in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned. Transfer the zucchini to a bowl and stir in the mint leaves. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Make 4 alternating layers of potatoes, zucchini and cheese, dotting each layer with bits of the remaining butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely browned on top.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan. Place a sprig of mint and a few slices of raw zucchini on the tart. Cut into wedges to serve.
- Note: Potatoes should be kept in brown paper bags in a cool, not cold, dark spot.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2011.
Mary Ann, I enjoy your recipes so much. Thank you for making my family’s meals delicious and varied! I am going to try the potato, zucchini and cheese tart this week. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
This sounds so inviting!!! Must try very soon!
Thanks for a great program and good recipes