Prosciutto and Tomato Sauce / Salsa di Prosciutto e Pomodori
Makes About 3 Cups
This sauce combines what I consider to be some of the best of Italian ingredients, juicy tomatoes, prosciutto di Parma, and balsamic vinegar. It is ready in twenty minutes and is the perfect coating for a steaming plate of tagliatelle.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 pound prosciutto, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 cups fresh or canned crushed or whole plum tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 pound tagliatelli pasta
- In a medium size saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat and stir in the prosciutto. Cook until the prosciutto begins to render its fat. Stir in the carrot and celery and cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes. Correct the seasoning. Sometimes if the tomatoes are not very sweet, I add a little balsamic vinegar to enhance the sauce after it has cooked.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1409.
No comments on this recipe.