Tomato and Basil Sauce / Salsa di Pomodoro e Basilico
Makes 9 1/2 – 10 Cups
- 5 pounds ripe plum tomatoes or three 28-ounce cans crushed plum tomatoes with their liquid
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tolarge sprigs fresh basil
- If using fresh tomatoes, core them, cut them into coarse chunks, and puree them in a food processor, blender, or food mill until smooth. Strain the fresh of canned tomatoes through a fine sieve to remove skins and seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and cook the onion over a medium heat, stirring, until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until it becomes soft. Do not let the garlic brown or an acid taste will be imparted in the sauce. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1720.