Tomato and Wine Risotto
Arborio or carnaroli rice lends itself to many different kinds of risotto; they are fun to make with wine, broth, a variety of vegetables and seafood. This wine-based risotto with fresh cherry tomato juice is a favorite.
SERVES 4 TO 6.
- 4 ounces pancetta, minced
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio or carnaroli rice
- 2 cups dry red wine (We like Primitivo in this recipe.)
- 5 cups fresh cherry tomato juice, heated
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup minced basil leaves
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, brown the pancetta until crisp; remove and set aside.
- Over medium heat add the oil to the pan and stir in the onion and cook it until it softens. Stir in the rice, coating all the rice grains with the oil. Add the wine slowly and cook until it is almost absorbed by the rice, stirring constantly.
- Begin adding the tomato juice, a ladleful at a time, and stir until the rice absorbs each addition of the juice. Continue stirring until the rice is cooked but not mushy. Stir the cheese and pancetta into the rice. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1813.