Rice and Vegetable Pie
SERVES 6 TO 8
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium yellow summer squash (aboutounces), cut in half lengthwise, seeds scooped and flesh cut into chunks
- 2 large potatoes (ounces), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano or Pecorino cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain the rice. Bring the 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil with the salt and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the rice and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place the carrots, squash, and potatoes in a pot and just barely cover the vegetables with water. Cook until very tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash the vegetables with 3 tablespoons of the remaining butter until smooth or use an immersion blender. Blend in the milk and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Fold in the rice; taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- Spread the mixture into a 9 X 2-inch round greased pan. Cover the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is nice and crusty. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 26 - Episode 2618.
No comments on this recipe.